CIBC to acquire private wealth business of MFS McLean Budden

MFS McLean Budden’s Private Wealth business manages approximately $1.4 billion in assets for high-net-worth individuals and families, endowments and foundations. “This opportunity aligns with CIBC Wealth Management’s strategic priority to strengthen relationships with high-net-worth clients and enhance distribution capabilities while delivering attractive returns,” said Victor Dodig, senior executive vice president, CIBC, and group head, wealth management. The transaction, which is subject to regulatory approval, is expected to close in the fourth quarter. Keywords High net-worth clientsCompanies CIBC, MFS Investment Management Canada Former RBC DS portfolio manager to helm new family office Facebook LinkedIn Twitter CIBC (TSX: CM) said Tuesday its wealth division will acquire Montreal-based MFS McLean Budden’s private wealth business. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. CIBC says the transaction further solidifies its position as one of Canada’s fastest-growing investment managers. BMO’s adviceDirect launches premium service CI launches new private markets product for HNW clients IE Staff Related news Share this article and your comments with peers on social media read more

Read More →

Ontario man who suffered seizure found guilty of dangerous driving causing death

first_img ‹ Previous Next › Welten, who was wearing a dark track suit with reflective piping, and would have been visible against the fresh white snowbanks, was dragged 139 metres and was pronounced dead at the scene.Noureddin was 68 at the time of the fatal crash, and his trial heard evidence he suffered a dyscognitive epileptic seizure — which does not involve convulsions but affects awareness and consciousness — while behind the wheel. He had not received medical clearance to drive, his trial heard.“Based on my findings, Mr. Noureddin would have appreciated the risk associated with suddenly losing the physical ability to operate a motor vehicle as a result of his epilepsy,” Legault said in his ruling.“It is self-evident that the risk caused by a dyscognitive epileptic seizure and loss of awareness while operating a motor vehicle can be significant, if not catastrophic, as it was in this case.”Noureddin had been told by his neurologist during a routine appointment on October 31, 2018 not to drive for three months, and only to resume driving with clearance from one of his physicians.Noureddin knew the reason for his doctor’s instruction, Legault said, was the risk of suffering an epileptic seizure while driving.“His decision to drive contrary to his doctor’s instruction, coupled with his understanding of the risk and potential result of suffering an epileptic seizure while driving, constituted a marked departure from the conduct of a reasonable person in the circumstances,” the judge ruled.Court heard evidence of Noureddin’s calls to his doctor in the weeks prior to the crash and his appointment for blood work following a change in medication in June 2018, which Legault said “indicates he monitored his epilepsy as directed and followed his doctor’s directions.”His licence had not been suspended, which, as Legault noted, was an option available to the doctor.Legault said he was not satisfied that assistant Crown attorney Hart Shouldice had met the “high threshold” to reach a guilty finding for criminal negligence. COMMENTSSHARE YOUR THOUGHTS Trending Videos PlayThe Rolls-Royce Boat Tail may be the most expensive new car everPlay3 common new car problems (and how to prevent them) | Maintenance Advice | Driving.caPlayFinal 5 Minivan Contenders | Driving.caPlay2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge | Ministry of Interior Affairs | Driving.caPlayThe 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning is a new take on Canada’s fave truck | Driving.caPlayBuying a used Toyota Tundra? Check these 5 things first | Used Truck Advice | Driving.caPlayCanada’s most efficient trucks in 2021 | Driving.caPlay3 ways to make night driving safer and more comfortable | Advice | Driving.caPlayDriving into the Future: Sustainability and Innovation in tomorrow’s cars | Driving.ca virtual panelPlayThese spy shots get us an early glimpse of some future models | Driving.ca We encourage all readers to share their views on our articles using Facebook commenting Visit our FAQ page for more information. advertisement Created with Raphaël 2.1.2Created with Raphaël 2.1.2 Ottawa Courthouse  Jean Levac / Postmedia News RELATED TAGSFlexNew VehiclesOntarioOttawadangerous drivingFlexOntarioOttawa Trending in Canada A date for sentencing will be set at a later hearing. Fakhreddin Noureddin was found guilty Monday of dangerous driving causing the death of a man who was out for a jog on Valentine’s Day 2019, just over three months after Noureddin, who suffers from epilepsy, had been warned by his neurologist to seek medical clearance before driving.Noureddin, who was represented at trial by defence lawyer Joseph Addelman, was found not guilty by Ontario Court Justice Jean Legault of the more serious charge of criminal negligence causing death. He was also found not guilty Monday of leaving the scene of the fatal crash on Goulbourn Forced Road in Kanata, on the outskirts of Ottawa, that late afternoon.Court heard eyewitness testimony from other motorists who saw Noureddin’s silver Toyota Camry swerve abruptly into the oncoming lane, striking and killing 59-year-old Hendrikas “Harry” Welten, who was out for a run in the waning daylight hours of February 14, 2019, when the car struck him from behind as he jogged along the road’s opposite shoulder. Road conditions were clear and there was no precipitation. First Look: 2022 Lexus NX The sport-cute’s looks have been softened, but its powertrains and infotainment offerings have been sharpened See More Videos The Rolls-Royce Boat Tail may be the most expensive new car everlast_img read more

Read More →

EU body wants more clarity in OTT debate

first_img Tags Home EU body wants more clarity in OTT debate Previous ArticleHuawei/IBM/SK Telecom stands – Hall 3Next ArticlePanel: The End Game for Mobile Commerce (part 1) Intelligence Brief: Will OTT or traditional pay-TV providers win? EC warns against prioritising traffic during Covid crisis AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 01 MAR 2016 Related Richard Handford Richard is the editor of Mobile World Live’s money channel and a contributor to the daily news service. He is an experienced technology and business journalist who previously worked as a freelancer for many publications over the last decade including… Read more Berec, which represents the EU’s national regulators, called for a sharper definition of telecoms services in an era where there is a blurry line with OTT offerings.The EU body argues “the definition of ECS [Electronic Communication Services] should be clarified and/or reconsidered in order to ensure that it keeps pace with current technological development, that it is future proof and is still the correct foundation that determines which services are regulated under the ECN/S framework.”The comments, which come from a report on OTT adopted by Berec, indicate the current EU regulatory framework is not clear on what is covered, with interpretation left to national regulators.The situation becomes more important as OTT services evolve which, Berec predicts, will make ECS definition more difficult to interpret. A lack of clarity means different conclusions can de drawn about whether an OTT service is in the framework or not.Some existing services, such as OTT voice that can make outgoing and receive incoming calls from the public network, fall under the definition more easily than emerging services.The EU body also adopted a report on enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). Both the OTT and IoT reports followed consultation in late 2015. Both will serve as Berec inputs into the EC’s review of the regulatory framework for electronic communication.In addition, Berec adopted guidance for regulators and operators on the new international roaming rules introduced last year, as well as an analysis of the wholesale roaming market. EC moves forward with 5G spectrum plan Author BerecECOTTlast_img read more

Read More →

National Train Show Travels to Atlanta

first_img CATHERINE MULLINS / PBA Listen to the audio version of this story.??:??Claudia Wood stands proudly behind her and her husband’s minutely-detailed model trains.“We built a mountain and put a castle on top, and it’s based on a castle in Bavaria and then just went on to build the town and the tourist attraction and all the stuff to go with it.”The couple belongs to South East Modular N-Scale. It’s one of many model train clubs at the National Train Show.For Wood, it’s not just about the trains. It’s also about creating a scene. Her design is a bustling village with trains weaving through grassy knolls. At the center of it all is an ornate castle that took her two years to make.Wood’s model is one of hundreds at the show on display for people like Neil Multz. He’s collected trains for 45 years and flew in from New Jersey.“My father brought me a train set, built it on a piece of plywood, and then decided he was going to send two trains heading on to each other, and after that I became hooked.”Not everyone there was a train veteran. Six year-old, train lover, Nasir Gunner, wore a Thomas the Train conductor hat.“You can ride on them and sometimes you can play toys on them and that’s all.”The show had over 800 elaborately decorated booths. Bells, whistles, and all.The National Train Show ran from July 19th through the 21st at the Cobb Galleria Centre. CATHERINE MULLINS / PBA Share WABE.ORG / PBA CATHERINE MULLINS / PBA CATHERINE MULLINS / PBA CATHERINE MULLINS / PBA CATHERINE MULLINS / PBA CATHERINE MULLINS / PBA CATHERINE MULLINS / PBA CATHERINE MULLINS / PBA Legal Advocate Discusses Medical Abuse At Shut Down Georgia ICE Facility WABE.ORG / PBA CATHERINE MULLINS / PBA ??:?? | Play story Add to My ListIn My List CATHERINE MULLINS / PBA Related Stories 123456 ‘It’s Fractured’: Georgia Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan On Healing Republican Party For Whom The Bell Rings last_img read more

Read More →

ESPN: Ohio State Buckeyes Set to Land Quarterback Justin Fields

first_img Matt Loede Matt Loede has been a part of the Cleveland Sports Media for over 21 years, with experience covering Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association, the National Football League and even high school and college events. He has been a part of the Cleveland Indians coverage since the opening of Jacobs/Progressive Field in 1994, and spent two and a half years covering the team for 92.3 The Fan, and covers them daily for Associated Press Radio. You can follow Matt on Twitter HERE. The Buckeyes, days following their Rose Bowl win in Urban Meyer’s final game as coach, is about to get a huge lift as reports state they have landed 2018’s #1 recruit in the country – former Georgia quarterback Justin Fields.ESPN states that “Fields is visiting Ohio State this weekend and all indications are that he plans on joining the Buckeyes and enrolling in classes at OSU next week.”Fields reason for leaving Georgia is that they already have a quarterback, that being sophomore Jake Fromm.The ESPN report says that Fields is set to try and apply for what’s called a ‘hardship waiver’ through the NCAA, which if granted, would make him eligible to play for the Buckeyes next year.The Buckeyes are bracing to lose third-year sophomore Dwayne Haskins Jr. at the quarterback spot to the NFL. He had a monster 2018, throwing for 4,831 yards with 50 touchdowns and 8 interceptions in his first season as a starter.Breaking: Justin Fields, 2018’s No. 1 recruit, plans on transferring to Ohio State and enrolling in classes next week, sources told ESPN. pic.twitter.com/vdLiNPSgsg— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) January 4, 2019center_img Related TopicsJustin FieldsOhio Statelast_img read more

Read More →