New Flyers coach Alain Vigneault on first days of training camp: ‘Obviously, there’s a process to this’

first_imgTeam president and general manager Chuck Fletcher named Vigneault the 21st head coach in team history on April 15. Vigneault replaces Scott Gordon, who served as interim coach after Dave Hakstol was fired last December.The Quebec City native continues to emphasize skill and creativity as he prepares for his 17th season as an NHL head coach. He previously coached the Montreal Canadiens, Vancouver Canucks and New York Rangers. He led Vancouver and New York to the Stanley Cup Final in 2011 and 2014, respectively, losing both times.Vigneault said he liked the pace and intensity of the early practices, and he especially liked what he saw from the newly formed trio of Kevin Hayes, James van Riemsdyk and 23-year-old Oskar Lindblom, who has been experimenting playing on the right wing, a change for the natural left-handed shot.”I’ve really liked the way Kevin Hayes has worked and sort of led his two linemates, his two teammates, with and without the puck,” Vigneault said. “For us, we wanted to get a look a Oskar on the right side. We’re probably going to try him there during exhibition. Like I mentioned (Friday), being able to play more than one position is a bonus. I have liked that line. I’ve liked their work ethic. I’ve liked how they competed so far.”Hayes signed a seven-year contract with Philadelphia in June after the Flyers acquired his negotiating rights from the Winnipeg Jets. He is expected to center one of the team’s top three lines.Vigneault is familiar with Hayes from their days together with the Rangers, but otherwise, he will be evaluating players he has not coached at the NHL level. The entire Flyers’ new coaching staff — Vigneault is flanked by former NHL head coaches Michel Therrien and Mike Yeo and former Flyers forward Ian Laperriere — will need time to adjust. Vigneault said he is focused more on implementing his system before exhibitions begin than on looking too hard at individual players.  The Flyers will play seven games in the preseason — two each vs. the Rangers, New York Islanders and Boston Bruins and finally a game vs. Swiss club Lausanne HC in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Sept. 30. Vigneault said he will skate most of his veteran players in “three or four” exhibitions this month and give the rest of the playing time to younger players fighting for roster spots.In particular, 22-year-old defenseman Philippe Myers could make the opening-night roster with a strong camp. Top forward prospects Joel Farabee and Morgan Frost are also in the mix — Farabee even skated on a line with team leaders Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier to open camp.”There are some guys I want to see more,” Vigneault said. “Some guys we obviously need to make decisions on. There are some guys that will probably play five out of seven. It’ll be a lot of fun. We’ve got some decisions to make. That’s what you want in camp. You need surprises. We need some of these young kids to step up and force us into some decisions. That’s how your team gets better. We’re going to give them obviously an opportunity to do that.” New Philadelphia Flyers coach Alain Vigneault told reporters on the second day of training camp Saturday that introducing a new roster to his system will be a continuous theme of the preseason.”We’ve seen different things we’ve been working on, as you guys can tell,” Vigneault said, via a transcript of his session. “We’ve been working on our D-zone coverage. We’ve looked at our neutral zone forecheck. Today, we touched a little bit on our offensive forecheck. We’re going through the three zones without the puck. Tomorrow we’re going to touch more with the puck and what we need to do. We’re trying to get everybody on the same page. Obviously, there’s a process to this and that’s where we’re in to right now.”last_img read more

Read More →

Oscar Robertson wonders: ‘Where are the White athletes?’

first_imgOscar “The Big O” Robertson, winner of the lifetime achievement award, left, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar pose in the press room at the NBA Awards on Monday, June 25, 2018, at the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, Calif. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP)SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) — Oscar Robertson commends the off-court activism of today’s NBA players, although the Hall of Famer wonders why more White athletes aren’t speaking out, too.Robertson received the Lifetime Achievement Award from presenters Charles Barkley and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at the NBA Awards on Monday night.Robertson is the career leader in triple-doubles and was the first player to average one for a season. His antitrust case against the NBA also ushered in free agency for players, which Robertson said was his most important assist.The 79-year-old former guard who starred at Crispus Attucks High in Indianapolis and in college at Cincinnati before going to the NBA said it’s time for players to speak out about politics and education, among other issues.“But the only thing that really bothers me is where are the White athletes when this is happening?” he said backstage. “This is not a Black athlete problem. You see injustice in the world. It’s all around you.”Robertson’s high school and college career was plagued by racism.“But it seems that what we have today is a system where you don’t want players to say anything at all,” he said. “Because years ago they didn’t say anything because they couldn’t say anything. But now I hope they all, the Whites and the Blacks get together. Even with the football.”Robertson was referring to NFL players who have taken a knee or sat in silence during the national anthem to protest police brutality and racial inequality.“What do you think is going to happen when the union gets involved with the owners?” he said “You think it’s going to be settled really easily? No, it’s not. It’s going to be nothing but a total mess.”___More AP NBA: https://apnews.com/tag/NBAbasketballlast_img read more

Read More →

India edge out Japan 3-2 to set up finals with Pakistan in the Asian…

first_imgAdvertisement lsrfNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vss1oWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E2n( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) pheWould you ever consider trying this?😱twg2hCan your students do this? 🌚6Roller skating! Powered by Firework India continued their undefeated streak by defeating Japan 3-2 in the semi-finals of the 2018 Asian Men’s Hockey Champions Trophy at the Sultan Qaboos Sports Complex in Muscat on Saturday. Earlier in the day, Pakistan made their way to the finals after overcoming Malaysia 3-1 on penalties following a 4-4 regulation time scoreline.Advertisement India are the only team to remain undefeated in the competition so farIndia began the game with all guns blazing and was rewarded a penalty-corner at the 2nd minute itself. However, Harmanpreet Singh dragged his shot wide. The Men in Blue totally dominated the first quarter but Japan’s resolute defending and their goalkeeper’s heroics ensured the scoreline remained intact.India’s marauding runs finally paid off when Gurjant Singh’s thunderous strike gave India the lead at the 17th minute. However, the joy was short lived as Wakaru equalize five minutes later following a diving deflection off a penalty corner.Advertisement Unlike the first two quarters, the third quarter didn’t have much goalscoring opportunities for both the sides. But, Chinglensana again put India in the front foot at the 44th minute after his deflection off a penalty corner found the back of the net. Japan’s staunch defending finally gave in at the 55th-minute when they failed to fend off Dilpreet Singh’s solo run which resulted in a goal.Japan reduced the deficit three minutes later as Zendana scored from a penalty corner. But, it proved to be too little too late as the scoreline read 3-2 in India’s favor at the final whistle.Advertisement Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →

Anthony Cunningham Steps Down as Galway Hurling Manager

first_imgAnthony Cunningham has stepped down as Galway hurling manager. In a secret ballot overseen by an independent observer last night 26 out of 32 voted ‘no’ when asked if they had confidence in the current management.In a Statement released this evening he said…..I, Anthony Cunningham incumbent Senior Hurling Manager since 2012, hereby confirm the following:- Despite the fact that I was unanimously ratified and supported by the Galway GAA Clubs, the County Hurling and Galway County Committees and having reviewed the current impasse in detail over the past month, it is with great sadness tonight that I and my Management Team announce our resignation from our positions.I do so with the best interests of Galway Hurling in mind and with the priority of best assisting Galway hurling to build on the achievement of 2015. As a Management team we have exhausted all avenues with support from the clubs, their delegates, the hurling fraternity and County Committees in the past month to bring this impasse to a conclusion and protect Galway Hurling.Despite extensive attempts at genuine dialogue including Independent Arbitration, there were no reasonable explanations offered or given as to the issues that players felt they had. I believe that the players are misguided in that they are not taking the views of their county on board. They, through their actions, have shown scant respect for, and loyalty to the goodwill shown them by supporters, clubs and County GAA Committees and Management.I contend it is unreasonable to express a lack of confidence in management – how else could we have reached a winning position in an All-Ireland Final last September? I consider this a kangaroo court decision, led by a core group of players orchestrated with the help of others outside Galway, motivated by a desire to unjustly extend their lifespan as inter-county players placing personal agendas above the greater good of Galway Hurling.This goes to the very core of what our Association stands for – there is a national danger now that the democratic and voluntary ethos of the GAA is being overrun by groups of players that wish to indulge in the selection and termination of management.Galway Hurling is bigger than any one individual and given that this current impasse shows no immediate sign of abating, I reluctantly conclude that it best that I now step aside. I hold a deep conviction that the current Galway management team is the one best positioned to deliver Galway hurling to the next level and bring All-Ireland Senior success to our county.I thank my family, my management team colleagues and their families for their support and I am very sensitive the hurt they have endured in the very recent past. I salute the county officials and officers and numerous volunteers who have given me magnificent support over the last five years.With Disappointment & Sincerity,print WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email This brings to an end a long-running saga that started shortly after Galway lost the All-Ireland final to Kilkenny in September.last_img read more

Read More →