OPINION: Future of Education Is Here

first_img Oct 15, 2020 Oct 16, 2020 The world has not planned well for the future. At its worst, education has for too long been underprioritised, and at its best, has been viewed as just one among many competing priorities. Before COVID-19, the funding gap for education in low-income and middle-low income countries – many already plagued with extreme poverty, weak infrastructure, armed conflicts, climate-induced disasters and forced displacement – amounted to $148 billion. This funding gap is now estimated to increase by up to one-third. You may be interested in… Six Eastern Caribbean countries deemed safe for travel – CDC NEW YORK, Aug 19 2020 (IPS) – There are moments when the world has no choice but to come together. Those moments become historic turning points. This is one of them. We are now faced with the greatest education emergency of our time. Over one billion children are out of school. The COVID-19 pandemic has created an unprecedented crisis of such magnitude and depth that the next generation might neither have the capacity and tools, nor the will, to rebuild – let alone build back better. Oct 16, 2020 COVID-19 has laid bare our collective failure to prioritise education. “The pandemic has exacerbated inequalities and magnified the global learning crisis. The future of an entire generation is at risk,” warned United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres when launching his Policy Brief on Education earlier this month, “The COVID-19 pandemic has created the largest disruption of education systems in history.” More deaths from COVID-19 recorded in CARICOM countries,… CMO says Saint Lucia at critical stage of COVID-19 outbreak St. Lucia records more cases of COVID Oct 15, 2020 Read more at: InterPress Service Share this:PrintTwitterFacebookLinkedInLike this:Like Loading… The number of out-of-school children who may never set foot in a school again is now rapidly escalating. An estimated 30 million children and youth are of immediate concern, according to UNESCO’s assessment. In a letter to the international community, UN Special Envoy for Global Education and Chair of the Education Cannot Wait’s High Level Steering Group, the Rt. Hon. Gordon Brown, together with 275 world leaders, politicians, academics and civil society, calls for urgent action to address the global education crisis triggered by COVID-19. Call to Action for CARICOM Education Ministers: COVID-19 and EducationIt is evident, that a critical paradigm shift in educational provision is needed; we need to ensure educational resilience through digital transformation. I take this opportunity as the Minister of Education, Science and Technology, Antigua and Barbuda and Chair of the Council for Human and Social Development (COHSOD) to call…April 16, 2020In “Antigua & Barbuda”Use crisis to propel Region into future – business leaderThe COVID-19 pandemic has catapulted the Region into the future, as far as the jobs landscape was concerned, regional business leader and author, Mr. Wayne Chen, said Wednesday. He was at the time speaking during a three-hour CARICOM Digital Dialogue hosted by the CARICOM Girls ICT Partnership. It was held…May 28, 2020In “Agriculture”St. Lucia: Considerations for phased school reopeningIn an effort to respond to and prepare for COVID-19, Saint Lucia implemented a number of control measures. Some of these measures included movement restrictions, closure of businesses, travel restrictions, the 24 hour shut down, the institution of curfews and from very early, the closure of schools.Saint Lucia, like many…May 25, 2020In “General”Share this on WhatsApplast_img read more

Read More →

Guidance for law firms collecting diversity data

first_imgThe Law Society has published a guidance note to help firms collect and publish diversity data about their workforces. This year is the first that firms have been required to make their own arrangements. Last year the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) sent out an online questionnaire and collated the responses itself. The guidance note gives details of what data is required, including job status and role as well as age, gender, disability, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, socio-economic background and caring responsibilities. It also gives a timetable for publication. All practices regulated by the SRA, including sole practitioners, recognised bodies and alternative business structures, are required to collect, publish and report their workforce diversity data, whilst in-house practices or other bodies not regulated by the SRA are exempt. Data should be delivered online to the SRA by 31 January 2014. Law Society president Lucy Scott-Moncrieff said: ‘It’s important that firms understand the diversity of their own organisations. They can only improve diversity if they know what to target. Complying with regulatory requirements can help firms identify opportunities to develop greater diversity, opening the door to talent they may have been overlooking.’ The data is required under the Legal Services Act to encourage an independent, strong, diverse and effective legal profession. Approved regulators are to collect this data from firms and publish it at aggregate and practice level.last_img read more

Read More →

Ferrocarril Central PPP contract winner confirmed

first_imgURUGUAY: The national court of auditors has given the go-ahead for the government to formally award the Ferrocarril Central public-private partnership contract to the Via Central consortium. The contract covers the design, financing, construction works and maintenance for 22 years of the 273 km main line running north from Montevideo to Paso de los Toros. This will include double tracking, work to raise axleloads to 22·5 tonnes and the maximum speed for freight trains to 80 km/h, grade separation and the construction of sections of new alignment. It also includes the construction of branches to Montevideo docks and a planned UPM pulp mill on the south bank of the Rio Negro. Work is scheduled to get underway in 2019.The Ministry of Transport & Public Works had received three bids for the contract:Via Central consortium: Saceem, Berkes, Sacyr, NGE;Via Libre consortium led by Acciona Construcciones;C-Mec and SDHS of China.The Chinese consortium dropped out in 2017 after the government decided it had not met the tendering conditions. Via Central was named preferred bidder in September, but Via Libre appealed against the decision.· The Ferrocarril Central project was described in detail in the November 2018 issue of Railway Gazette International magazine, which subscribers can access in the digital archive.last_img read more

Read More →