KUSI Newsroom City has $1.2 million in unclaimed money Posted: May 21, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — Anyone who has done business with the city of San Diego could be owed some money, a city official said Monday.Currently, the city has more than $1.2 million in unclaimed money held across 2,368 accounts.Unclaimed money comes from returned checks that were undeliverable to on-file addresses. Checks, which have ranged from $1 to $30,000, become unclaimed money after six months.City Disbursements Manager Cecilia San Pedro encouraged those possibly affected to check the city’s unclaimed money report at sandiego.gov/comptroller/reports/unclaimed. They can find a claim form at the same website.“We want to refund every single dollar of unclaimed money,” she said. “A simple search is all it takes to verify if you have been issued a check that has gone unclaimed. There is no charge to search the data or to file a claim.”Since this time last year, $344,000 in unclaimed money has been returned to 157 people, according to the city. The average claim was $2,189.Payees, often those who have been issued refunds or vendor payments, have one year to claim the money. May 21, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
LA PRESA (KUSI) – A motorcyclist was seriously hurt and a woman sustained non-life-threatening injuries in separate collisions Monday on state Route 125 near Jamacha Road in La Presa, a fire official said.The first collision happened shortly after 7 a.m. on northbound SR 125 near Jamacha Road, Bonita-Sunnyside Fire Department spokesman JasonOosterbaan said.The driver of one of the two sedans involved in the crash, a woman in her early 30s, was transported to a hospital with injuries that were described as minor, Oosterbaan said.The second collision occurred shortly before 7:25 a.m. on the southbound onramp of SR 125, also near Jamacha Road, and involved a motorcycle and an SUV, he said.The motorcyclist, a man in his early 30s, was transported to a hospital with injuries that Oosterbaan described as serious.The California Highway Patrol was investigating both collisions. July 2, 2018 Two injured in crashes on SR-125 in La Presa KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom Posted: July 2, 2018
San Diego Gas & Electric begins transition to time-of-use pricing Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, Updated: 6:33 PM March 1, 2019 Posted: March 1, 2019 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave Settings 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – As part of a Public Utilities Commission initiative to support California’s shift to clean energy, San Diego Gas & Electric will begin a transition to time-of-use pricing in March.The plans are designed to encourage a cleaner power grid by using energy when renewable resources like solar power are readily available.Customers will be able to save money by shifting electricity use to hours before 4 p.m. or after 9 p.m.“The transition to time-of-use plans marks a big milestone in California’s journey toward a clean energy future,” said Scott Crider, SDG&E’s vice president of customer services. “We are committed to helping our customers through this transition.” KUSI Newsroom
Rolling Stone, which will make its historic move to a smaller trim size on October 30, has made a bit of history with its final oversized issue, too.Some 1.3 million copies of the October 16 issue were sent to subscribers wrapped in a faux cover promoting Life on Mars, the new ABC-TV series, recreating a 1973 Rolling Stone cover.Last month, Wenner Media announced that after months of market-testing, Rolling Stone would indeed switch from its large-size format (10 by 11 and ¾ inches) to a more “rack-friendly” size typically found on the newsstand, moving from saddle-stitching to perfect-bound format. In doing so, the magazine plans to upgrade its paper stock and add 16 to 20 pages per issue.While rare, this is not the first time Rolling Stone has sold a cover wrap to an advertiser. Meanwhile, the magazine has rolled out its own trade ad campaign, both online and in print, touting a “remastered” Rolling Stone with its October 30 relaunch.Wenner hopes the changes—which include glossier paper—will boost single copy sales and lure new advertisers. During the first half of the year, ad pages were down 33 percent over the same period in 2007. Single copy sales, meanwhile, were down 6.6 percent during the same period. Rolling Stone’s overall circulation remained relatively flat.
According to a report today in Ocala, Florida Star Banner, there are at least 20 examples of plagiarism in stories and columns written by Ocala magazine editor Heather Lee, spanning a period of four years. In an e-mail to the paper, Lee said the plagiarism was unintentional, and hinted that it was a result of the magazine being understaffed.Oh, boo friggin’ hoo. Here’s her e-mail, in part, as printed in the paper:Producing 17 issues a year is a huge responsibility, especially with a limited staff and little to no freelancers. Many times I’m working and researching dozens of stories months and months ahead of time collecting data, ideas, thoughts, quotes and the like from every resource possible. All of this goes into a running file that I keep on my desktop, referencing, revising and cutting as it gets closer to deadline. I do my best to keep detailed notes as to where the items come from and I believe that as I work through the files, getting closer to finished copy that I amend all the information to be in my own voice. So when I say that I never intentionally reproduced someone else’s work as my own, I’m being truthful.What do you think? Is being overworked a good excuse for plagiarism?You can weigh in here …
Dan Cohen AUTHOR Electric car manufacturer Faraday Future is negotiating an agreement with the city of Vallejo to build a manufacturing plant and customer delivery center on the former Mare Island Naval Shipyard, located in the northeastern portion of the San Francisco Bay area.The Los Angeles-based company made a presentation to the Vallejo Chamber of Commerce last week and is hoping to strike a deal with the city by November, reported the Vallejo Times-Herald. Faraday Future’s 1.2 million-square-foot plant would be located on a 157-acre waterfront parcel on North Mare Island.Vallejo is responsible for the reuse of North Mare Island, while Lennar Mare Island is redeveloping the rest of the property according to a reuse plan calling for 1,400 homes, 7 million square feet of commercial and industrial space, and recreational areas.Faraday Future, which employs 1,150 employees worldwide, recently unveiled a first concept vehicle and plans to develop an entire line of electric vehicles. The company evaluated 187 sites nationwide to find a location to build its cars, and selected Las Vegas and Mare Island. The firm already has started building its first plant in North Las Vegas. It plans to use Mare Island as a customer delivery and experience center even before the manufacturing plant there is completed. The delivery center would offer a place for customers to learn about the company’s products and technologies, road test vehicles, observe the manufacturing process and take delivery of finished cars.Faraday Future chose Mare Island for several reasons, including its “accessible and capable workforce, access to distribution channels, its proximity to Silicon Valley and the significance of California being the EV [electric vehicle] capital of the U.S.,” said project manager Catherine Steinmetz.
(Representative image)Creative CommonsA 20-year-old man from Alwar, Rajasthan, live-streamed his suicide on Facebook after he had a fight with his ex-girlfriend. During the live stream, Nirmal said that he loved his girlfriend intensely and wanted to prove his love by dying for her.The incident happened late on Monday night and Nirmal went live through the Facebook app on his mobile phone. Before killing himself, Nirmal spoke of his failed love and the betrayal he felt. He then went on to consume tablets and proceeded to hang himself, the police told India Today.During the live stream, which lasted for two hours, many posted sad emojis, commented and liked the post but no one made any attempt to stop the suicide. They didn’t even ask him to stop trying to kill himself.The Behror police were alerted of the suicide and rushed to the spot to retrieve Nirmal’s body and send it for post mortem. The police have also launched an investigation into the incident.
German firm Siemens set to cut 6,900 jobs globallyReutersThe year 2017 was marked by numerous layoffs worldwide spread across several sectors, and just when we thought that the season of job cuts was finally over, here comes another one. German manufacturing conglomerate Siemens on Thursday, November 16, announced that it was set to cut 6,900 jobs globally, which is about 2 percent of its total workforce.The move is mostly going to affect employees in its power and gas division, which has been seeing a slowdown due to the competition posed by the renewable power market.”The power generation industry is experiencing disruption of unprecedented scope and speed,” Reuters quoted Siemens management board member Lisa Davis as saying. “With their innovative strength and rapidly expanding generation capacity, renewables are putting other forms of power generation under increasing pressure.With this, Siemens is likely to cut 6,100 jobs in the power and gas division, which makes most of its revenue by supplying turbines to companies that generate power from oil and gas. The firm also said that about half of these job cuts will in the Germany and also did not rule out forced layoffs. A few job cuts are also said to be in the US.A few divisions of Siemens have been witnessing quite a slowdown and the firm’s Process Industries and Drives had a profit margin of just 2.9 percent last quarter. Siemens Chief Human Resources Officer Janina KugelReuters”The cuts are necessary to ensure that our expertise in power-plant technology, generators and large electrical motors stays competitive over the long term. That’s the goal behind the measures we’re taking,” CNBC quoted Janina Kugel, Siemens’ chief human resources officer, as saying.After the news of the mass layoff broke, IG Metall, Germany’s largest trade union, slammed the firm and said that it was extremely slow when it came to dealing with the crisis in the power sector. “Job cuts of this magnitude are totally unacceptable given the company is in an outstanding overall position,” IG Metall board member Juergen Kerner said.German Economy Minister Brigitte Zypries also noted that Siemens’ employees are now concerned about the reports and their future and that the firm must work with them and the trade union to find a fair solution.Meanwhile, the German firm has said that even though there is a slowdown in some divisions, it expects the hiring pattern to remain stable now as well as 2018 and also noted that it will try and adjust the laid-off workers in its 3,200 vacant posts.
In this file photo taken on 6 February 2018 US President Donald Trump attends a roundtable discussion on the MS-13 gang in the Cabinet Room of the White House in Washington, DC. AFPPresident Donald Trump is refusing to declassify a high-profile memo written by Democratic lawmakers about the Russia probe.In a letter to the chair of the House Intelligence Committee Friday, White House counsel Don McGahn says the memo “contains numerous properly classified and especially sensitive passages.”The Democrats’ memo aimed to counter a Republican-drafted one the president declassified and released.However, portions of the memo “would create especially significant concerns for the national security and law enforcement interests,” McGahn wrote.FBI chief Christopher Wray and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in a separate letter indicated that releasing this material would present concerns for the “protection of intelligence sources and methods, ongoing investigations and other similarly sensitive information.”House Democratic Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi called Trump’s move to block the memo a “stunningly brazen attempt to cover up the truth about the Trump-Russia scandal from the American people.””The president’s decision to block the Democratic memo from release is part of a dangerous and desperate pattern of cover-up on the part of the president,” she said in a statement.”Clearly, the president has something to hide.”The previously released Republican text alleges anti-Trump bias in the investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 US election that brought Trump to power.The Justice Department and the FBI had also warned against releasing the Republican memo, saying it could jeopardise US intelligence collection methods. Trump authorised its release anyway.Democrats on the intelligence committee complained the Republicans’ four-page memo cherry-picked facts and explained events out of context and was thus not accurate.They joined other Trump administration critics in calling the release of the Republican document an effort to undermine the investigation led by Special Counsel Robert Mueller.In his letter, McGahn said Trump has instructed Justice Department officials to be available to help the intelligence committee revise the Democratic memo, if it so wishes, so as to “mitigate the risks.””The executive branch stands ready to review any subsequent draft of the February 5th memorandum for declassification at the earliest opportunity.”President Donald Trump is refusing to declassify a high-profile memo written by Democratic lawmakers about the Russia probe.In a letter to the chair of the House Intelligence Committee Friday, White House counsel Don McGahn says the memo “contains numerous properly classified and especially sensitive passages.”